Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shannon walks and talks

This evening some of the women I work with helping out the 16-18 year old girls at church happened to stop by at the same time to pick up some bookshelves they were buying from me. One of them took the shelf with her, the other one brought a tape measure and found that the shelves would not fit in her van unless she first emptied it of the four children who were riding with her. She'll be back with her husband to pick up the two really tall shelves. I'm so glad to be working with literate ladies. They're lovely. (Say that five times fast: "Lovely literate ladies."

Shannon loved playing with the kids. They rolled a ball to her and played with her toys and made her laugh. She cried a bit when they left until I took her to the balcony to let her wave good-bye.
Today she also said "sock" very clearly while waving around a pair of socks. She was also saying "jump, jump, jump" as she bounced her stuffed rabbit up and down. (That one sounds more like "dump" but she gets her point across very well with body language.)

She's also decided it's okay for her to walk on her own! Last Monday she decided to be brave enough to try it without someone begging her to walk a few steps to them. Before I knew it she was wobbling across the room. Now I'm going to have to baby-proof the apartment more as furniture that has been hiding electric outlets starts disappearing, and as I run out of tall places where I can put things out of reach!

And does anyone have suggestions about how to get toddlers to eat vegetables? She's getting pickier.

6 comments:

Lesley said...

Yeah Shannon!

Ian loves broccoli boiled or steamed in milk. Usually I microwave frozen broccoli (just the top part, not the chewy 'stem') drowned in milk and covered with Saran Wrap. He seems to like the flavor and the way the veggies are oh-so-soft. Peas work nicely that way too. Good luck! Our pediatrician said today that 12 months kicks off a period of picky eating. Ian seems to know that fact as well!

Amelia said...

How fun! I wish we could be there to see her walking around and talk to her! (Maybe we need to schedule a Skype call???) :) Anyway, just keep trying to give her the veggies, give variety, and sometimes it helps if you mix it up with other stuff she likes. But what do I know??? My 18 month old eats most anything, I'm just dealing with a picky 3-year old now! Any ideas for him??? (hehe, I'm not really worried about him...he still has a pretty good appetite.)

Tori said...

Way to go Shannon. I can't believe she is walking. As for veggies just keep giving them to her. Does she like to feed herself? Maybe give her some she can feed herself. You can always hide the veggies. That way you know she is getting them.

Dr. Genevieve Ford said...

She eats her peas and squash and carrots just fine. It's anything green that she suddenly decided not to like. I can hide zucchini in marinara sauce and I mashed a few beans into her rice ball the other day. I may have to try the milk steam bath. Shannon hasn't ever liked broccoli to this point.

I also heard that melting cheese on top works wonders.

Cecily said...

Not that this helps now, but Simon liked eating things he picked from our neighbor's garden. And it also seemed like the likes and dislikes changed weekly (if not daily). He loves peas frozen, but Shannon is a little young for that now. Good luck!

Katie said...

Rachael LOVES frozen peas. We actually just give them to her half frozen. All of my kids have really struggled with green things. They grew out of it. Anyone remember when Madi was orange because she literally would not eat anything other than squash and carrots. But I keep introducing them and now they love veggies now unless they are with other picky kids and then they will tell you they hate veggies. Josie really likes zucchini in Leslie's pasta primavera sauce but other than that greens are a no go here. Yeah for Shannon walking! we could cause some major havoc if we got these toddlers together.