Monday, April 7, 2008

General Conference

Watching General Conference at home on the laptop is an interesting experience. I sat on the floor nearby to ensure that I could actual hear it, because the volume dial only goes so high, you know. Then Shannon was very playful, hungry, sleepy, cranky, and hilariously distracting in turns. She kept trying to eat my pen, so I very quickly gave up on trying to take notes.

But I was struck by how often the speakers said things specific to my situation and needs. The Spirit brought the messages into our minds and hearts. I was excited to hear the the new apostle was Elder Christofferson (with his very appropriate name). I met him once because his son was my Czech teacher at the MTC and he visited his son's class, even though it would make him get home later than his usual 9 pm bedtime. He gave a strong devotional about agency using the Book of Mormon, and then he came to teach us personally by answering questions we had and showing us the love of the Savior.

We attended the Sunday morning session at our church, where Shannon proceeded to keep me busy "baby wrestling" and playing follow-the-leader. She was the leader. She also tried to climb over the arm rest on the end of the pew. I turned her around and told her to go the other way if she absolutely had to get down. Then we went out into the hall with the other young children and listened, rather than watched, the rest of the session.

2 comments:

Tori said...

It's amazing how somehow even with little kids you manage to hear what you need to hear. I love conference time.

Amelia said...

It's definitely a different experience trying to watch it with kids. Thank goodness for the internet though!