Shannon had a rough first birthday. She acted like she was teething and having a growth spurt at the same time. She didn't take normal naps, she was cranky and irritable, and she even through a few small early-toddler tantrums! Maybe she knew she was graduating from infancy and wanted to make the most of it. Then by evening, she got really going. She usually doesn't injure herself very much, yet on her special day she managed to whack the back of her head against the ground four times. How she hollered! I was feeling pretty bad about it, when a tray fell off the counter and landed on her! She certainly got a lot of hugs and kisses, but she could hardly stop the big tears from coming. I lit a candle and put in on her mashed potatoes because we decided to save her first experience with her own piece of cake for Daddy to see. She loved the candle so much that she tried to grab it and got upset when I wouldn't let her. Once the flame was out, she wanted to chew on the wax. And she didn't want the potatoes. Poor little tyke. I'm happy to report that since then she's been her usual cheerful, social, affectionate self. She just had a bad day. And aren't we all entitled to one of those days when like Wilbur the pig we want to throw ourselves on the manure pile and sob? (In our case a soft comforting pillow might work better. )
Maybe she got it out of her system for awhile. :)
3 comments:
Poor baby! That's how I feel about birthdays too :)
Love you Shannon! Congratulations to Mom to surviving an incredibly long and hopefully unique first year! ;)
How a year flies by! And it seems like she has made the absolute most of it! I can't believe all she has learned to do in that short time.
She is such a beautiful child. And I love her 'wig'! Although she looks less than thrilled with it in that second picture. :)
It will be fun to see her devour cake when you guys are all together in a few months! I definately want to see pictures of Shannon's Birthday Part Deux. :)
Ian does the mini-tantrum too. Don't tell, but I usually have to stifle a giggle when he throws himself down and writhes around. :)
Give Shannon a birthday hug and a loving face-poke from her cousin Ian!
I think we have all had a birthday like that. That's part of the reason I'm glad Adam shares my birthday. Now we can just forget that it is my birthday too...hee, hee.
Oh and I love her hair.
Post a Comment