Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shannon News

Our sweetheart spent the last fifteen minutes of Sacrament Meeting calling "Nursery!" "Nursery!" She struggled to run around the cultural hall at the same time. She's getting strong into the toddler years. She's also started to try out simple sentences like "Good zrbrt Mommy" and "I like candy" and "Want go down stairs." (Does anyone know the official way to spell zerbert?" I like it with no vowels. It looks Slavic.)

She enjoys being in a house with other kids and their toys. The preschooler is big into not being a baby, and tries really hard to exclude her, except she can't resist a good game of chase or spotaneous dancing in the living room; happily the first grader is really happy to have Shannon around and likes to play with her.

She likes collecting seashells and digging in the cold sand, watching the flock of seven wild turkeys that come by every day to the backyard, feeding bread crumbs to the squirrels, playing in piles of orange and red maple leaves (including throwing them up in the air), and generally discovering new aspects of the world that Jesus created for her. We watched a small songbird fly up to the window, perch on a plant hook inches from the glass, and then swoop right into the corner to eat the enormous spider we'd noticed there. It was spectacular. That spider had the biggest abdomen I've ever seen in the arachnid family. Shannon loved it.

She tries to climb the three flights of wooden stairs that twist around this crazy New England home, and has slipped down them twice. Scary. She got bumps on her cheek and the back of her head the second time. We try really hard to police the place. It isn't at all child-friendly as structures go, even though 12 kids were raised here.

She's still a happy girl. I think she's especially glad to have daddy around.

6 comments:

Tori said...

Shannon, I can't wait to see you in December. I bet you have grown so much!

Lesley said...

I can't wait to meet Shannon! She sounds like she is at an adorable stage. I bet she and Ian will have lots of fun together!

Cecily said...

She sounds like she is having a ball out there.

Don and Becky Larson said...

I want to come collect seashells and play in the beautiful leaves too. But of course what I really want is to be with you all. Love Ya! Mom and Dad

Swanky Mommy said...

Any picks of the new home? And SERIUOSLY--we need to catch up. Do I need to beg? Make chocolate bread pudding?

Lacey Lu said...

Fun...kids are cute...busy, but cute!
I've made our blogs "private," if you'd like to read them, you're welcome to send me an email at lia86_04@hotmail.com and I will be happy to add ya!! :-)