Thursday, June 4, 2009

Quick Update

We've been in our new house for a month and a half, but haven't had the internet running until today! We have reduced rent in exchange for some home repairs we're trying to help with. I'm not great at helping with the painting and roof replacement, but I have used brushes and rollers and shifted asphalt tiles a bit.

I'm working part time at Barneys and Nobbles as a bookseller. (I disguised the name a bit to protect the innocent.) It's been fun, especially the few times I've done Story Time. We did Llama Llama books one time and Mo Willems another time (Knuffle Bunny, Elephant and Piggie, and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus). I liked the time I read bear books: The Big Hungry Bear, The Little Mouse, and The Red Ripe Strawberry; Bear Snores On; and Jamberry. Working at the register is a bit boring, except last night when it took me my entire four hour shift to reshelve half a rack of bookmarks between customers. I had one woman buy 15 books for her team from work as thank yous and then ask me to wrap them for her. She didn't mind that I helped other customers in between, which was thoughtful of her.

Most of the time Shannon goes to her Dad's gym when I have a shift at work. It's led to some timely conversations about how we don't hit people when we're mad, we use our words to talk about our feelings. We hit punching bags for exercise, that's it. If you asked her what Daddy did at work, she'd tell you "He exercise!"

So he's out of town this week, but it's possible to catch a few rounds of him if you look for USA vs Finland. You'll have to call me if you want more details. Which might mean sending me an e-mail to get my phone number, I know. Sorry!

P.S. Megan, have you read Kenneth Oppel's Airborn and its sequels? And you'd better have read the Percy Jackson books. Tell me you've read Percy Jackson.

Love you all!
Genny

3 comments:

Katie said...

HOORAY that you are back. And I don't have an excuse for not calling you because I do have your phone number, I am just lame. and never home.
We just read Peter and the Starcatchers and the second one. I hope there are more in the series, but if not we are in desperate need of new book ideas. I just finished "the count of Monte Cristo". LOVED IT>
anyway, I am so glad to have you back in cyberspace.

Hawks Family said...

So glad to read your update, I was wondering how things were going out there. Sounds like you're busy and having fun. Little Shannon is so cute and I loved hearing all about her personal pronoun stage - funny the things kids say. Mine having me laughing constantly!

Egenmay said...

Oh No! I haven't read those yet. I'm actually still working on the list you wrote me at Christmas. My sister-in-law gave me some of her books to read and I needed to get them back to her before we moved. I also finished the Pendragon series, an ok read. I'm almost finished with your list, and hope that once the dust dies down a bit after this move I'll be able to read more.


I'll add those to my list. It sounds like you are busy, though. Good luck with the Burns and Wobble job.

Love you lots,
Megan