Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Metropolitan News

This is at Holland Point, overlooking the Juan de Fuca Strait between the island and Washington state. Can you see the spacious skies, the purple mountain majesty of it all?

Shannon is posing on a bench in front of a stained-glass window commissioned in honor of Victoria, RI and her glorious reign. The top panel is the old BC provincial seal. They changed it and put the setting sun on the bottom because someone in the old country objected that the sun never sets on the British empire (the setting sun was over top of the Union Jack . . . ) The V stands for Victoria and the R for Regina (Latin for Queen).


Here's a close up of the real queen of my heart herself. This is at the Legislature building in Victoria.

I have just settled nicely down to life in the city of Victoria. We found a one-bedroom apartment in a family-friendly neighborhood. I made some good friends at church and at the park across the street where Shannon likes to play every day. There are stunning walks all around. I finally got to attend a couple of my husband's performances, once with Shannon who loved staying up late to watch Daddy dance. The climate agrees with my allergies and my skin. I love the ocean views.

So . . . It was nice. We'll have to move back some day. But I'm sure we'll enjoy New York City, too. It's got a few things to recommend it.

That's right. Anthony found a bigger and better job and we're moving from the Pacific to the Atlantic. (We've already done the Southwest and the Midwest). He's gone ahead to pioneer our path by finding us a place to live (and by dancing in the rent money). I'm camped with Shannon at my parents' home, where Shannon loves being with Grandma and Grandma (she calls them both the same name. My Dad is tolerant. I am amused.) She especially likes playing with the Grandma toys and playing the Grandma piano. I'm still dissertating. That's a bit like hemorrhaging, except it takes longer. We're content, although we can't wait to have our family united again.

2 comments:

Cecily said...

Welcome back to the states. You need to let me know if you/Anthony need a contact family in NYC.

Swanky Mommy said...

WHOA WAIT WHAT? And WHAT? NYC? (I just read Cecily's comment.) I am SO out of the loop. Holy cow. Okay--yeah. We really need to catch up.